Monday, October 21, 2013

My kind of town...

...Chicago is. There are just so many things to do and see, from theatre to events, and so many great restaurants in this beautiful city that some weekends burst at the seams. 

Friday was an art show at Intuit (which managed to snag the great domain, art.org), followed by a tasty Italian dinner. Saturday began with Draw Like Darger, part of Big Draw Chicago. I wish I could have made it to some of the other BDC events, but this one was wonderful and so well-organized. We selected squares with images of Darger's drawings and were encouraged to combine elements rather than copying each square.  Using tracing paper, we outlined people, butterflies, flowers, etc., to create our drawings, then brought them to life with colored pencils.

Open House Chicago, offering access to and tours of many buildings and homes, was also this weekend. After I whisked off to a student film audition, we went to two near DLD, then saw a friend in a short play produced by another friend. After that was the VIP Reception for the Film + Media Summit, which was at the vast Cinespace Studios.

Sunday I went to the Summit, and enjoyed seeing friends, panels with industry experts and networking opportunities. My favorite was a talk by Lance Weiler on transmedia. He's involved in so many amazing projects, it's mind boggling. I had to leave early to go to a rehearsal in the suburbs for a play next week. This was our first staging with the entire cast and musicians. Then a delicious dinner at a bar/restaurant near me I'd never been to before.

Next weekend's calendar is already filling up...

  

No comments: