Thursday, August 01, 2013

To play or not to play?

A colleague called to ask if I'd be interested in auditioning for one of two lead roles in a play she's in that'll run for 16 performances.  Quite flattering to hear that she'd recommended me to the director.

For a variety of reasons, I haven't done a play for a long time, or even auditioned.  Several years ago I was asked to audition for the part of Golde in a non-Equity touring production of Fiddler on the Roof, but the weekly pay was much too low for me to consider being out of town for weeks at a time, so I declined.

Most non-Equity theatre in Chicago doesn't pay well either, so if I got the part I wouldn't be doing it for the money.  I'd do it for the experience, resume credit and exposure.  I've heard two major TV/film casting directors here talk about the value of doing theatre.  But would they or my talent agents come to see this production of a well-known play, or is it enough for them to know I did it?  Would it get good reviews, or perhaps even a Jeff (Chicago's version of the Tony Awards) nomination?

I have to consider the rehearsal and performance time commitments, which would be significant.  I probably wouldn't have an understudy.  Would needing to be at rehearsal or a performance prevent me from doing any on-camera work?   One of the major casting agencies requires auditionees to put theatre conflicts on each audition form. Many TV series are filming here this fall, but there's no way to know if or how often I'd have the opportunity to audition for them.  Or would the play conflict with other commitments?  Fortunately the theatre is nearby, so I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time commuting or money on gas.

I'm looking forward to talking with the director and gathering more information....

No comments: