Thursday, March 04, 2010

When one door closes...

....another opens, as they say.  That closed door could also yield a nice surprise by reopening when you least expect it.  Or it could remain closed, which can either be disappointing or result in a "oh, well, there are many more fish in the sea" attitude.

Most Gainfully Unemployed are constantly knocking on doors...to develop new contacts and expand our networks, to further, maintain and/or renew friendships/relationships.  Because we never know where that next opportunity will come from. 

The great gig I have this week (with at least one more week upcoming) role playing a high level executive (complete with an office that has a view of the lake & Navy Pier) came via a writer friend who used to work at the company.  Way back in June 2006, she suggested I send in my resume, etc.  My improv experience combined with years of award-winning corporate sales, marketing and training made me a perfect fit (IMHO, at least!).  The contact e-mailed a nice reply and left the door open, but nothing came of it.  I don't know if diligent follow up would have helped or not.  More than a year later, my friend suggested I resubmit to a new contact.  I did...but again, nothing.  Then out of the blue, a different person called me in for a meeting and hired me on the spot. 

Three and a half years is a long time for something I'm interested in to come to fruition, which is why I need to have so many irons in the fire.  We can't control who comes in and out of our lives or when, or the roles they'll play (as they say, we can only control our attitude...).  For example, the aforementioned friend had moved away, but we've recently reconnected via Facebook.  

When motivated, I'm applying, submitting, querying, auditioning, reminding people what I'm looking for, figuring out if there are any connections/assistance I can offer in return.  Coming across a bunch of naysayers or lack of responses in a row can lead to a period of unmotivation, where I think, "why bother?"  On the other hand, everyone needs some downtime, which for me often leads to a resurgence of output.  And, I hope, many more open doors. 

1 comment:

EilisFlynn said...

Good luck, Ruth!