Thursday, April 10, 2008

Trusting the Universe

Last week happened to be great, acting wise...but this week loomed with nary an audition or booking on the calendar.

Sunday evening (for some reason my least favorite time of the week) arrived with lots of blanks on my schedule. A couple of lunches with friends, though fun, do not make for a productive week. I have contest entries to judge and could work on a new book, but if at all possible I don't want to have a week without something developing on the acting front.

Many people, including those behind and following The Secret, believe if you put those good thoughts of what you want out there and believe it will happen, the universe will provide. Well, I've been doing that for YEARS about selling a book. Faithful readers know I'm still waiting for "the call."

It's a challenge for me to sit back and trust, and rely on all the irons I've worked so hard to put in the fire. So I usually tend to take a proactive approach, and find some online auditions to submit to. Remind people I've worked with of my existence. Monday, Tuesday...this approach yielded zip. Hmmm. Hard to keep the stress from boiling through the top of my head.

Then on Wednesday:
--a talent agent called with an audition for today.
--got asked to do a quick reshoot later in the week because of a script change.
--tho I wasn't chosen by a major film director for a scene I'd been asked by an extras casting director to submit for, he's considering me for another, much smaller scene.

What a lot of good news in one day! On the other hand, the roller coaster continues...

--received another rejection for my newest novel.
--the smaller movie scene conflicts with a commitment I'd made to give a workshop. So do I accept the movie, which I believe could have more impact on my career, and back out/find a replacement for the workshop? Or honor my previous commitment?

The universe giveth, taketh away, and occasionally confuseth...

5 comments:

Eileen said...

stupid universe

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Keep the faith, Ruth! I totally understand the frustration, but trust that it will all come to fruition when it's meant to. :-)

Marilyn Brant said...

I believe your last line says it all :). Hang in there, Ruth!

Kelli Estes said...

Boy, you sure know how to juggle, don't you? Hang in there, Ruth!

Erin said...

Well, you can't say it's a boring life, now can you?