Friday, August 11, 2006

Discipline

When you have a day job, it's easier to do what you have to do. You know what is on your plate and when those projects are due. You know what's expected of you and how many hours you need to put in. If you don't follow through, you'll be reprimanded or fired. The gainfully unemployed must assign themselves tasks and find the inner fortitude to work on their own every day. I'm certainly not going to fire myself if I don't complete my to do list. But I will be disappointed in my lack of progress.

Yet the temptation to enjoy the nice weather, to browse online or in stores, to schedule lots of social events and long lunches remains. Who'll know if I take the afternoon off? It's a Friday, after all. Many people leave early on Fridays, especially in the summer.

Who'll know? I will.
Back to work.

No comments: