Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Clear your closets & clear your mind?

Lately, I've been avoiding making a few life and career decisions. One is whether or not to move. I'm leery of making the wrong choice and/or making a mistake...especially after spending significant time and effort. Yes, I know that no decision is a decision in itself. And that wrong choices/mistakes can often be corrected.

In case I do decide to move, I've embarked on a project: going through all of my stuff. I don't consider my place cluttered, but do have hundreds of books and many closets. Being a writer, I love my research books and those on keeper shelf. Then there's the to-be-read shelf. It hurts to donate any of them, but some must go. Being an actor, I never know what I might need to wear for an audition or a booking, so I have a wide variety of options. Yet surely some things can be added to the pile.


This morning I worked on my coat closet, organizing bins holding hats and gloves. I came across this pair of green leather gloves with gold and metal decoration. I don't know where I got them or if they were a gift. I've never worn them, because they're that nice, and enjoy admiring them from time to time. Keep? Try to sell them on e-Bay? (I've been looking up a few items and am surprised by the low prices. How does an individual make enough money to make it worth the time to take pictures, post and follow the sale, and pack and ship the item?) Or actually wear them?

There's a style of velvet Thinsulate gloves I love that I've bought in different colors and patterns over the years at TJ Maxx and other discount retailers. Apparently I lost one black and one grey, but those remaining make their own pair.

Seeing the now-tidy bins lined up in orderly rows gives me a sense of accomplishment. Each time I fill a bag or box, I feel lighter. Clearer. I'm sure I'll feel even better when I actually take the bags to their next destination.

Will those feelings carry over into my work and/or decision-making? Does an orderly home lead to an orderly mind? I hope so.





No comments: