Thursday, July 11, 2013

Derailed

What do you do when you feel a cold coming on?  At the first sign of a scratchy throat, I reach for the Zicam or ColdEeze.  This time, trying to ward it off failed.  I got slammed by the worst cold I've had in years...including a throat so sore that every swallow was a challenge, a stuffed nose, and overall discombobulation.   

I tried to rest/sleep it off by watching The Walking Dead marathon, feeling like a zombie myself as I drank orange juice, took  Dayquil and Nyquil, assorted lozenges, tea and Throat Coat tea with honey....  After several episodes, I'd become inured to the gore of zombies chewing on people and getting their heads or eyes bashed in, but was glad to have so many episodes on my DVR.

Every so often I'd make my way to my computer, but couldn't focus on anything beyond an email or two.  I managed to go to a lovely garden party Saturday night, but suffered most of four days and nights. Lingering effects include some laryngitis.  I put off a couple of VO auditions as long as I could, and hope I didn't sound too scratchy when I did them.  I postponed a workshop.  I've never felt worse at an audition than I did this Tuesday, but the casting session director said she liked all three of my takes.  Fortunately the scene wasn't very long or complicated.

By the time Wednesday rolled around, I had so much to catch up on from errands to work that I put in more hours than usual, and rewarded myself by meeting friends for a late drink.  I still feel a little out of sorts. 

Usually I'm efficient and a pretty good time manager.  But when whole days are lost to illness, I feel derailed.  Getting back on track physically and mentally is a challenge.  Checking a lot of items off the to do list yesterday was satisfying, but there's also pressure to get out a large project that'd already be underway if I hadn't gotten sick.

Hope I'm back to 100% soon.


No comments: