Thursday, May 16, 2013

Temptation

Life presents constant temptations, from the urge to drop whatever you’re doing to respond to your phone’s insistent notifications (because that random text is more important than getting work done) or take social calls (as if you can’t talk to friends another time) to having another piece of pie to playing hooky on a nice day or at a friend’s suggestion to spending more money than you should. 

For some, giving in to temptation can be easily justified.  I want to.  I deserve a break (even if I haven’t made a dent in my to do list).  I need that, right now.   

If you resist temptation, what happens?  When you push yourself to work out instead of going out for drinks, or to finish that project that’s been on your plate for months instead of going out for lunch on a weekday?  Does the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment trump guilt over consuming too many calories or racking up more credit card debt?   

What seems like overindulgence to one may be rationalized by others.  They convince themselves succumbing is preferable to restraint.  So what if I have a hangover and am fuzzy-headed today, I had a great time last night.  So what if I ate that bowl of Alfredo pasta big enough to feed a family of four, it tasted delicious.  Would you still have had a good time if you consumed fewer drinks or took home leftovers?
 
Some believe treats and breaks are rewards for a good day's work, and are best enjoyed in moderation.  Others will have to deal with the consequences of excess. 
 
Which are you?
 
 
 

No comments: