Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dear Judith...

Jean Cozier wrote Dear Judith, the true story of her cousin, artist and incest survivor Judith Dawn Hickey.  Jean used excerpts to create a short play of the same name.

Several times over the past couple of years, I've been honored to voice Judith's words at events held at The Awakenings Foundation Center and Gallery.  The website says the gallery "showcases the healing of rape and sexual abuse survivors who pursue the creative arts, and to share their stories with the public as a means of raising awareness about the problems faced by rape and sexual abuse survivors in our society."

When I was first called in to audition, I wasn't sure if I could pull off the deeply emotional words about such serious, heartfelt topics.  I'm not often cast in heavy dramatic roles.  However, in 2007, I played the mother of a teen who committed suicide in Carnal Savior (that year a candidate for the Pulitzer Prize for Dramatic Works).  The play started with "my son" sitting on stage, writing his suicide note to me.  He'd write a slightly different one each night, then give it to me when he got back to the dressing room.  His words helped me with my scenes. 

Just so, I hope Judith's words help me do her story justice. 

No comments: