Thursday, November 10, 2011

A lesson in dressing & undressing

What you wear can be important. For example, many jobs require uniforms. And if you’re going to a wedding or an interview, you probably put some thought into your outfit and accessories and wouldn’t dream of wearing faded jeans and a t-shirt.

Often an actor is required to supply her own wardrobe, whether she’s a principal or an extra. This means choosing and bringing multiple options, including shoes and jewelry, either to a paid wardrobe fitting before the shoot or to the set. Many people use suitcases with wheels, but I try to fit what I need into a garment bag and a backpack.

Usually we’re told things such as: casual, nice casual, business casual, etc. And/or not to bring white, red, clothes with logos, items with large or bright patterns. A couple of times formal wear has been required. It’s interesting to see how people interpret these descriptors.

Occasionally auditioners provide additional wardrobe, such as a lab coat (which may or may not fit/be flattering). At a recent audition they provided a hat and mittens.

On set, clothes and hairstyle can make the man or woman. I was supposed to be a reporter on a TV series. But when the wardrobe people saw my nice business suit, they had me be a government official instead...a more featured role that resulted in several minutes of screen time. The woman originally cast had brought separates, no jackets with matching pants or skirts.

It probably didn’t hurt that I’d straightened my usually curly hair, which the hairstylist had taken more than half an hour to flatiron again (someone has decreed that no TV reporters should have curly hair. Flip through the channels and you’ll see. I’ve learned this rule also applies to movies/TV shows. To be a reporter in a major film, I’d slicked my hair into a low ponytail. That hair person also flatironed my hair...and put it back into a ponytail.) For period films, you have to be willing to cut or grow out your hair.

Sometimes there’s miscommunication about exactly what or how much to bring. Once I was told "upscale bar," and dressed accordingly. The hairstylist had painstakingly straightened my hair to a Vidal Sassoon commercial sheen. Someone on the crew came to take us to set and was fairly horrified. Because it was really a blue collar bar. The hair person smeared some greasy cream in my hair. We literally ran to the wardrobe truck, had clothes thrown at us and put them on as we ran to set.

Recently I did a print shoot where I changed clothes seven times in two hours. The challenge is to bring enough without having to schlep too much.





No comments: