Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving and Gratitude

Since it’s Thanksgiving, I’ll go with the flow and write about being thankful. And grateful. Many sites, including Oprah’s, talk about the importance of keeping a gratitude journal as a way to relieve stress and maintain a positive attitude. Some sites go so far as to say you’ll attract abundance or your life will change for the better if you do this for a few months. There is, of course, even an app for that.

Some things I’m grateful and thankful for:
--so many supportive and helpful friends and family. Those that are part of everyday life and those I don’t see as often but when I do, the connection and understanding are still there.
--great acting jobs I’ve had this year, from a national TV commercial shot in New Orleans to a live industrial for ComedySportz in Las Vegas to all the challenging eLearning courses that come my way.
--self-discipline and motivation that keep me in my chair working and help me resist eating every piece of chocolate I see.
--things to look forward to, such as singing one of my favorite pieces (Carmina Burana) at Symphony Center next summer.
--opportunities to make people laugh (with me, not at me) via improv and other performances.
--hope. Sometimes this is a challenge to maintain, for example, when things don't quite go your way. When the phone doesn't ring or I don't have any auditions or upcoming gigs. But that's the point of hope: to believe in a positive outcome. As the song says, "Don't Stop Believin'".

What are 5 things you're grateful for?

For more information, see:

http://www.simpleabundance.com/gratitude_journal.html

http://stress.about.com/od/positiveattitude/a/gratitude.htm

http://www.thehappyguy.com/articles/gratitude-journal.html

No comments: