Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happiness is...?

Merriam-Webster online defines happiness as "a state of well-being and contentment."

How many times have we heard that happiness comes from within:

Ezine @rticle

Articlesbase

Even so, external events often trigger happiness or unhappiness--you get the job/part you wanted, the guy you like asks you out/your spouse does what he said s/he would...or you don't get it and s/he doesn't.

I'm one of those people who finds it challenging to stay happy when things in my little world or the big world aren't going well. Things that make me unhappy: looking at my 401(k) balance, getting a rejection. Things that make me happy: participating in enjoyable activities, getting the part.

A goal is to stay on a more even keel as opposed to riding the roller coaster of happiness. I'm working on letting go when stuff happens that I can't control, and really appreciating all the good stuff in my life.

What can we do to be happier? Maybe learn more about how to be happy...

About.com advises "cultivating an internal locus of control," or the belief that you are the master of your fate.

wikiHow has many suggestions, including relaxing, smiling, taking the good with the bad, being thankful, pursuing goals that make you happy, developing healthy relationships, and making someone else happy.

The Formula for Being Happy says it's a matter of V2 x S2 x P2 x L2 = H, or V2 = Values times Vision. S2 = Stability times Structure (of which balance, accent, and flow are parts). P2 = Passion times Professionalism, which together produce Power. L2 = Love Given times Love Received. H = Happiness.

Not sure how happy you are? Try a Happiness Quiz.

What makes you happy?

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Lots of things make me happy for a bit, but it doesn't last. I spend more time dwelling on what I don't have and trying to get it instead of being grateful for what I do have. I'm always greedy and want more.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com