Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Bright Side

As faithful readers know, I tend to be a worry wart. These days, the stock market freefall and horrible reports about the economy make it painful to check my 401k balance and read the newspaper. So instead of dwelling on things I can't change, today I'm going to look on the bright side of life (as they advise in Spamalot).

Supposedly if you act happy, you'll release endorphins and actually feel happier. On the other hand, excessive worrying/stressing out can result in various ailments from back pain to ulcers to lost sleep/concentration and headaches.

10 things I'm happy about today, in no particular order:

1) The price of gas, which even in my neighborhood is under $3.00.
2) Free TV shows on the Internet.
3) Good customer service. Kudos to US Cellular for having a rep who actually sounded concerned about my BlackBerry problem and knew how to fix it...fast. (Unlike AT&T Internet, where I seem to have trouble even getting to a real person and wind up with the rep who is reading a script by rote, line by line, and when I say I've already troubleshooted wants me to redo the basic stuff like turning off my modem. Ooops. There I go with the negativity again. You see how easy it is, even with the small things?)
4) A great book to lose yourself in.
5) Supportive friends and family.
6) People who do what they say they will when they say they will.
7) Returning clients who are happy with my work and want to give me more. And without having to audition.
8) Events to look forward to, including my vacation, plans with friends, shows I have tickets for, and the holiday concert I'm singing in.
9) The sense of accomplishment when I get stuff done.
10) Good health.

What 10 things are you happy about?

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Let's see if I can get up to 10.
1. Happy to have good weather for Nov. 14 in IL.
2. Happy to have celebrated my 36year anniversary this week.
3. Happy that I have a cute, sweet dog.
4. Happy I got a lot of visitors on my blogspot this week.
5. Happy that the problem with my laptop computer turned out to be the battery wasn't in there right.
6. Happy that it's the weekend.
7. Happy I got an appointment for a haircut tomorrow.
8. Happy that I don't have that crummy cold/flu virus I had a few weeks ago.
9. Happy that I live only 5 blocks from the train
10. Happy I learned to type in high school many years ago,so I can be typing this now!

I did it - I got 10!
Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com